Rebel Kustomz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rebel Kustomz

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» BIRTHDAY GREETINGS
when did vanning get started in NZ? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22 2009, 08:48 by BAs Ride

» New Club Rebel Kustomz NZ
when did vanning get started in NZ? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22 2009, 08:46 by BAs Ride

» has this site gone into a abyss
when did vanning get started in NZ? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22 2009, 08:43 by BAs Ride

» NSVA UK STILL STRONG
when did vanning get started in NZ? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 21 2009, 00:49 by BAs Ride

» rent a wreck nsw sydney
when did vanning get started in NZ? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 21 2009, 00:48 by BAs Ride

» cracking in paint
when did vanning get started in NZ? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 21 2009, 00:45 by BAs Ride

» How long does paint last
when did vanning get started in NZ? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 21 2009, 00:43 by BAs Ride

» Australia Vanats 2010
when did vanning get started in NZ? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 21 2009, 00:42 by BAs Ride

» BAs Ride Bedford A-Team Van
when did vanning get started in NZ? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 21 2009, 00:41 by BAs Ride

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Affiliates
free forum

when did vanning get started in NZ?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
craziebob

Male Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2008-10-17

when did vanning get started in NZ? Empty
PostSubject: when did vanning get started in NZ?   when did vanning get started in NZ? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 17 2008, 23:36

How long has vanning been in NZ? Are your events for vans only or open to all types of motors?
Back to top Go down
Rapman
Admin
Rapman

Male Number of posts : 504
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: when did vanning get started in NZ?   when did vanning get started in NZ? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 18 2008, 03:38

This is from The Van Association NZ website and should answer your question Smile

And as for being open to all we allow vans ( large, medium ,and small ) utes,stationwagons , and old skool cutoms Smile Smile

Vanning in New Zealand really got underway in March 1976 with the formation of New Zealand’s first van club, Parlour Vans, in Auckland. There had been the odd custom van running around prior to this but with the establishment of Parlour Vans, a focal point was formed for vanners to get information and meet fellow vanners. Parlour Vans first official van run was held in April 1976 to a beach north of Auckland and was attended by around 20 vans. A number of vanners around the country joined Parlour Vans and set up affiliate clubs until they could get enough members together in there own towns to stand alone as a separate club. These clubs included Windy City Vans in Wellington, Sun City Vans in Napier, Taupo Custom Vans and Hamilton Custom Vans.

It didn’t take long before van clubs were springing up around the country. New Zealand’s first Van Nationals was held in Paraparaumu, north of Wellington in 1977. This was hosted by Windy City Vans with around 50 vans attending. The vanning movement rapidly grew and the number of clubs grew steadily to a maximum of around 35. Various runs were held throughout the year and a number of these became traditional and were repeated many times like Black Sands at Muriwai, Auckland, Ohiti over New Year at Napier, "Class Of" runs at Tauranga and the Carnival Runs at Taupo, to name a few. Many of these runs hosted 300 or more vans. Major Van Shows were held around the country by various clubs with 40 to 50 or more show vans attending at major venues. Some of the vans even appeared on local TV shows.

With the number of clubs growing and the country being spread out, it was decided by a few vanners to look at forming a vans register to collect and distribute information and keep the various clubs informed and in-touch with each other. A meeting was held in Taupo in 1979 and after much debate the Van Association of New Zealand (VANZ) was formed in 1980. A number of rules were formulated for the guidance of the vanning movement with the most contentious and most often debated ones being those to do with show judging.

A number of clubs grew to unmanageable sizes with some splitting to form other clubs. One such club being Parlour Vans which grew to over 80 members before splitting and giving birth to Auckland Custom Vans. At one stage there were 6 van clubs active in the Auckland area, and a number of cities had more than one active club.

As well as van runs, racing was also popular with Parlour Vans hosting their annual Van Drags at the Meremere Drag Strip south of Auckland. This was popular with many clubs and was run for a number of years through the 80’s.

As with most other countries vanning started to decline in New Zealand for a number of reasons. However a core of hardened vanners throughout the country continue the sport and there are still about 20 clubs active, although most have much reduced membership numbers. There are still a number of regular eVANts held throughout the year including, the Snow Run, Kia Iwi Lakes, Gunns Bush, Thames Gold Rush and the Carnival Run. These culminate in the Van Nationals held at various locations around the country each Easter. These tend to alternate between the North and South Island and include the AGM of the Van Association of New Zealand. We also have Veteran Vanners who are those who have been continuous members of VANZ for 10 years or more.

Hopefully the vanning movement will continue for many years to come with the large number of vanning children coming up through the ranks.

- Garry Armstrong
Back to top Go down
https://rebelkustomz.forumotion.com
BAs Ride

BAs Ride

Male Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: when did vanning get started in NZ?   when did vanning get started in NZ? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 20 2008, 02:34

I think the very first owner of a van in NZ was a sheep lol!
Back to top Go down
Rapman
Admin
Rapman

PostSubject: Re: when did vanning get started in NZ?   when did vanning get started in NZ? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 20 2008, 23:02

and now you own it lol!
Back to top Go down
BAs Ride

BAs Ride

PostSubject: Re: when did vanning get started in NZ?   when did vanning get started in NZ? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 21 2008, 06:37

your on fire Alex, I bought it for a song, after I bought it, I killed it and took me money back, and ate it for tea lol!
Back to top Go down
Rapman
Admin
Rapman

PostSubject: Re: when did vanning get started in NZ?   when did vanning get started in NZ? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 22 2008, 23:27

does it still smell like mutton dressed as lamb lol!
Back to top Go down
BAs Ride

BAs Ride

PostSubject: Re: when did vanning get started in NZ?   when did vanning get started in NZ? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 23 2008, 00:41

now what's Teena done to you lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: when did vanning get started in NZ?   when did vanning get started in NZ? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

when did vanning get started in NZ?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Rebel Kustomz :: Your first category :: Your first forum-
Jump to: